LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Monday, September 5, 2016

Thian Hock Keng Temple and Chong Wen Ge Cafe

I did not know that the area around Amoy Street and Telok Ayer Street was so happening during weekday lunches until a friend and I went for lunch at Kitchen by Food Rebel. The area was so vibrant that we decided to walk around. That was when I found the Thian Hock Keng Temple and the Chong Wen Ge Cafe.

Stepping through the temple doors was like going through a time portal. One disappeared from 2016 and appeared in the 1910s. I was ever so charmed. Who was it who said that the past is a foreign country and historians are time tourists?

A devotee standing at the doorway of the temple. Looks like something straight out of the 1960s.


The temple (built in 1839) of course, predates the Chong Wen Ge school (built in 1915) which is in a drastically different style on the right. Chong Wen Ge School is now known as Chong Fu School.

The serene grounds of the temple. There is a feeling of timelessness.

The old Chong Wen Ge School has now become the Chong Wen Ge Cafe. I can't wait to drag the whole family down for a cuppa.

My friend and I picked P.S. Café for dessert. Within a few minutes, we had travelled from 1839 Singapore to 1960s British pub.

It was a lovely afternoon but much too expensive for our tastes. 1 slice of cake and 2 beverages was about $40. Wow! I won't be back in a hurry. It is way above my budget for tea and cakes.



No comments: