LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Monday, March 25, 2013

The Root Issues of Our Education System

Ian Tan, a multi-talented father of 2, penned the following... which I found interesting...

Recently, a young mother asked me how one should prepare their children for the tough problem sums found in primary school mathematics.

Her father, a successful businessman, chimed in: “Why do parents have to go for classes to learn how to teach their children? That’s the teacher’s job! The job of parents is to go out and earn money to feed the family!” 

The Education Minister recently expounded on the myriad of issues surrounding education during the Committee of Supply debate in Parliament. He mentioned a need to go back to basics, and it couldn’t be truer.

However, going back to basics requires an honest assessment of what’s truly broken, instead of asking parents to manage their expectations and to strive for school-work-life balance. The situation isn’t as complex as the Ministry believes, because the many issues raised all lead back to a few root causes that are not being given enough emphasis by policymakers.

For the rest of the article go HERE.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I could have been my parent, after I had learned the basic reading and arithmetic skills, I would have sent me to a vocational school to learn a trade.

As far as study habits go, I never learned to study until I was almost through high school and definitely when I went to a community college for a year and a half.

Wen-ai said...

This Father-of-2 hits the nail. "Teach less, learn less, grow more" is something that MOE really needs to look into.

Petunia Lee said...

Theanne - We've a strange situation in Singapore. Everyone wants to have a desk job. There is a shortage of intelligent plumbers and carpenters. The situation is not tenable at all.