LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Monday, December 5, 2011

What a Woman!!

When Sinfonia first recounted to me the escapades of her sheep, I smiled correctly and nodded empathetically. For a city dweller, this is all very theoretical you know. Sheep got out of paddock and shepherdess herds sheep back in paddock. Anybody who has read Heidi can understand that... or THINK they do.

Until your children come in to dinner yelling that Hornblower has gotten out.

Well... we tiptoed over to tell Mr Sinfonia, who shrugged his shoulders and mumbled something about ... normal... Hornblower does it all the time... nothing to worry about. After about 20 minutes, we got worried that Hornblower would escape again. so we went over and talked to Mrs Sinfonia, who strode across the hall, out to the garden and surveyed her domain. The next thing I knew, dear Hornblower was again standing outside the fence and Sinfonia was trying to lift this oversized woollen pillow with eyes all by herself. Sinfonia calls Hornblower a lamb. I can tell you that Hornblower looks NOTHING like a lamb. It is very big, and if anybody tells you sheep are white, they are lying. This one had a tail caked with some brown pasty substance... which also stained its legs. In short, there she was, this slender Chinese woman wrestling with a big and dirty sheep-lamb.

The Daughter came and helped to squash the sheep through a hole in the fence.

Then, Sinfonia disappears for a while and comes back carrying an IRON GATE. She strode across the field like some sort of medieval warrior Queen and positioned the gate in front of the offending hole. Then she disappeared again and came back carrying a WOODEN TRELLIS. By that time, my jaw was well and truly on the floor. By the time she, The Husband, The Daughter and Little Boy were hammering fence to ground in the half light of the Tasmanian dusk, I had fled. I was half afraid that she might next stride across the paddock with an entire roof. I could hardly believe that this was the same woman who played classical piano so well the night before that I almost rudely went out to ask her not to stop playing.. and who meekly opens up a packet of cheese for her husband when asked... and who makes fine jewelry... and who cooks like a dream.

Now, if you ask me if we saw many of the most famous sights in Tasmania, such as Swansea, Launceston and Cradle Mountain, I'll say "No"... but if I had a special holiday, I'll say "Yes". Not many people go on holiday to chase sheep you know and listen to the liquid notes of the piano played live deep into the night. I really think Sinfonia is an amazing woman. Singapore lost a precious Daughter when she decided to leave for Tasmania.

14 comments:

Blur Ting said...

R.E.S.P.E.C.T!! She's my idol.

Wen-ai said...

When I first read on Sinfonia's blog that she could man her "garden" (which sounds more like an estate to me) and planted rows and rows of garlic all by herself, I already know that she is a superwoman!

Fresh Fry aka 福星 said...

hehehe....well, i'd say tat without Sinfonia going over to Tas, her amazing talents would never be uncovered + discovered!

how to haul lamb-sheeps back into their abodes in s'pore? the zoo or yio chu kang Hay's Dairies? hehehehehe.... =P

keep the stories coming, Petunia! i come in several times daily to check! =D

Anonymous said...

Quite an adventure visiting Sinfonia...very happy for you having a delightful visit!

Petunia Lee said...

Ting - She said the same thing about ya!

Petunia Lee said...

Wen-Ai: We're harvesting garlic tomorrow!!

Petunia Lee said...

Fry - If she didn't come over here... she would probably be some CEO or other.

Petunia Lee said...

Theanne - We're living the Enid Blyton stories with Pirates Bay... Devil's Kitchen and Break Me Neck Hill.

My Sinfonia said...

Gosh, I feel like Zara the Princess Warrior already. Better clothes than a CEO I think!
So lovely to have Petunia and family here. I shall be blogging about them when they leave. Ha!

Open Kitchen Concept said...

Oh I'm envious to DEATH! Tasmania sounds like the perfect place! Petunia - will you be moving there?

Petunia Lee said...

Sinfonia - Uh oh... revenge time. Kekekekeke!

Petunia Lee said...

OKC - I was seriously looking to buy a property. But it is too far from Singapore and I have children to educate so the decision is that much harder.

Malar said...

WOw! She sound like "Zara" ! Amazing woman!

Petunia Lee said...

Malar - She does, doesn't she? Except that I dun think Zara plays the piano. Kekekekekeke!!