LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Friday, July 15, 2011

A Whirlwind

I got to the worksite at 2.30 pm and did not get to leave till after 6.30 pm. I had no idea where all that time went.

The site was a whirl of activity. The tilers were laying tiles in bathrooms and staircase. The head tiler was making good progress on one huge wall. One of the 2 kitchen floors was being jack-hammered into some semblance of smoothness in preparation for tiles. Someone drilled something in the bomb shelter and the dust clouds choked me and left a layer of gray on my face. The electricians were placing finishing touches to their work.

2 quarrelsome workers worked on the ceiling boards. I'm not pleased with this pair. They're even better looking than Mr Scrawny and his 6-pack abdomen but they talk too much and work less fast. When you're waiting to move into a house, looks and talk aren't as important as fast and accurate work. You don't really want eye candy to work on your house.

Wrought iron grilles came in on the shoulders of 3 men, who drilled and cut and soldered and hacked. Doors came in and were being stained by a quiet and careful man who examined each brush stroke like he were Van Gogh.

The carpenter came in and installed some louvres. I love my carpenter. He is a tall and dignified man with a round face and eyes that look like they belong to a toddler. You know, toddlers have these black sparkling eyes that look like dew drops? Well... my carpenter's eyes are like that. What is wonderful about Freddie Liang of Jit Fa (S) Pte Ltd is that his workmanship is excellent and his sense of professionalism is very well developed. He talks straight and walks straight and does what he says he will do. And he wields a screwdriver like a magic wand.

Before I knew it, it was 6.30pm.

4 comments:

Blur Ting said...

I know baby's clear beautiful eyes with dark pupils!

Malar said...

Wow! Such a busy work site!
I guess your house is progressing well!

Petunia Lee said...

Ting - Yup! Those kinda eyes!

Petunia Lee said...

Malar - Yup! it's finally getting busy!! we've been waiting so long... too long!!